Saturday, February 3, 2007

JUMPING INTO JANUARY !!! (Again)

I know. It's true. I can hardly believe it either--January 2007 is over!!! Seems like just yesterday I was eating Thanksgiving dinner, wrapping Christmas presents, and popping open a bottle of bubbly while shouting "Happy New Year!!!" Nevertheless, the reality is that January 2007 has come and gone. The year is in full swing. I've had a whole month to reflect on the past year and project into the new one. But I didn't make any resolutions this time out--just a realistic list of things I'd like to complete and accomplish. This blog you are reading is one of those things. Now I can check "Create Blog" off of my very long list of things to do this year. And it feels great. Not because I'm actually doing something I've been pondering for months but because it is actually fun--I get to share my pictures and stories with whoever is so inclined to read my blog. Those of you who know me know I go a lot of places and meet a lot of people--thus this blog's title. Now I can save my breath and daytime minutes--instead of giving people detailed accounts of my many adventures I can simply say "Check out my Blog". Kool.Kool though it may be, it’s all still a bit intimidating. What do I say? How do I say it? How do I get it to look like I want? Will the images look good? Who will read it? When will I find the time to write it? I asked myself all of these questions and realized I was doing what too many of us do all too well—I was procrastinating. So adhering to the old adage “Ain’t nothing to it but to do it” I’m just doing it. Jumping in. That’s actually how I learned how swim as a little girl. My father just threw my ass in the pool. I swallowed water. I choked. My eyes burned. I cried. I climbed out. And he threw my ass back in. It’s not my fondest memory and I do believe I may have some deep seeded resentment issues towards dear old dad because if it, but this is one Black girl whose ass can swim.

So if there are typos and other snafu’s bear with me. I’m still learning about blogging, figuring how to upload the photos, and deciding what it should ultimately look like and contain. I’m new to this so there’s bound to be some glitches as I figure this out. I may be a novice. I may be technologically challenged, but like that damn Cellie said in The Color Purple
“I’m Here!!!”


I
N RETROSPECTIVE

Yes January’s come and gone but I did manage to get out and about.
  • I finally caught the indie play “Plantanos and Collard Greens" when it moved from BMCC to Baruch College on January 19th. The stage production has enjoyed a successful run since it’s 2003 debut. The show is about the challenges faced in a relationship between and African American man and a Latino woman, and it is continuing its Off-Broadway run thru March 24th, at The Mason Hall Theater At Baruch College located at 23rd Street and Lexington Avenue in Manhattan. To celebrate the show’s new location, Radio host Wendy Williams of WBLS showed up to introduce the play to excited audience members. With her usual humor and candor, she spoke briefly about the origins of the play. Although she made it clear that she was in a rush to get off the stage ( she wore a full-length shearling coat and admitted that she had been out partying the night before ) she made a point of giving props to the couple behind the play's success. Written by David Lamb (based on his book “Do Plantanos Go Wit’ Collard Greens?”) and produced by Jamilla Lamb, Planatnos and Collard Greens is truly a labor of love for this married couple who left their jobs in in law and finance to pursue the play full time. It was a risk but it has paid off. I won't be surprised if this funny, romantic, thought provoking play becomes a movie real soon. For more information on the play and to get your tickets visit plantanosandcollardgreens.com
  • I also managed to get down to Brooklyn Academy of Music to celebrate the release of Danny Simmons' latest book , "I Dreamed my People Were Calling But I Couldn't Find My Way Home". The book is made up of poetry and paintings by the Brooklyn-based artist and is published by Moore Black Publishing, which is fast becoming the home of thought-provoking, culturally aware books by Black poets and writers. Founded by Jessica Care Moore of Apollo Amateur Night fame-who wowed audiences over a decade ago with her powerful poetry performances - the independent book publishing company boasts titles and authors of note who, like Care Moore, have committed their lives to uplifting people of color via their artistic endeavors. “MBP is determined to document some of this generation’s history by publishing their books. In the tradition of Broadside Press and Third World Press, respectfully, we hope to continue to improve the quality of our books, the authors we publish and the quality of life for the community we serve,” affirms Jessica via her website, mooreblackpress.com. Moore Black Publishing is fast becoming the home of thought-provoking, culturally aware books by Black poets and writers. Founded by Jessica Care Moore of Apollo Amateur Night fame-who wowed audiences over a decade ago with her powerful poetry performances - the independent book publishing company boasts titles and authors of note who, like Care Moore, have committed their lives to uplifting people of color via their artistic endeavors. “MBP is determined to document some of this generation’s history by publishing their books. In the tradition of Broadside Press and Third World Press, respectfully, we hope to continue to improve the quality of our books, the authors we publish and the quality of life for the community we serve,” affirms Jessica via her website, mooreblackpress.com. Mr. Simmons joins Moore Black Press authors Ras Baraka (“Black Girls Learn Love Hard”), asha bandele (“The Subtle Art of Breathing”), Saul Williams (“The Seventh Octave”) , and Etan Thomas (“More Than An Athlete”) and the publication of his latest book marks the tenth anniversary of the independent publishing house. To celebrate, Jessica care Moore hosted a wonderful cocktail reception at BAM. Many people came out to support the author and publisher including Rev Run and his wife(who showed up in matching mink coats), who was very friendly and excited about the upcoming season of their MTV Show "Run's House". She posed for pictures with fans and was very warm and loving to my homie Angela, who is a big fan of the show. Run spent alot of time on the phone and clearly didn't want to be bothered by a prodding photog. like me but he managed to be civil. Russel Simmons also showed up to support his big brother and hung around fro quite awhile, managing to stick around long enough to hear Danny speak briefly about the importance of supporting the book and to read a few selected poems. Danny also signed copies of the book for everyone whom purchased one. It was one of those mellow Brooklyn events I love because there was light food and good wine and I bumped into many friends, artists, and associates. I managed to speak with the artist/author briefly about his book, of which he stated:: “The poetry is supposed to be provocative. A lot of it is very harsh. It outlines the conditions that Africans found themselves at wherever they were displaced throughout the diaspora. So basically, in surrealistic terms, it talks about our experiences. The paintings are spiritual paintings that relate to our ancestors and communication from our ancestors. It’s supposed to be uplifting at the same time so essentially the book is meant to provoke, insight, and uplift.”
  • I must admit that the highlight of the first month of 2007 had to be ME!! IN A MOVIE!!! Legendary filmmaker Melvin Van Peebles--who wrote and directed the "Blaxpoitation" cult classic "Sweet Sweetback's Baaadass Song"- was shooting his latest movie at Frank's Place in Brooklyn. I stopped by the small set to check out my friends Leslie and Eric and ended up in a scene. I was an extra who sat next to him at a bar, drinking wine while he conversed with another young woman. I just had to look like I was chilling, enjoying the drinks and the music. It wasn't hard for me at all since, well, that's pretty much what I do on my down time anyway. The director was cool and laid back through out the shoot and was very closemouthed about the movie itself. "don't want whitey to know what I'm doing" he laughed but I know he wasn't joking. So I won't tell you everything I know about this project (which isn't much anyway so don't sweat it) except that it's being shot in Brooklyn and will premier at BAM. Also, it's about the character Sweetback from the original movie and how he's grown, changed, etc. The title is tentatively something like "Confessions of a Former Doofus" I think. Regardless of my ignorance, I was excited. I've been on many a movie and video set in my day but I'm not used to being in front of the camera. I'm much more comfortable behind it. But Mr. Van Peebles assured me I looked great saying "The camera loves you girl" and after looking at some footage I could modestly agree he was right. I must admit though that it was a wakeup call--my ass needs to lose some weight. No time to obsess about that now. I'll obsess about my weight at another time. Don't doubt it. I'm still obsessing about the movie right now. I mean anyone whose from Brooklyn and New York for that matter knows there's always a shoot going on. It makes the mundane madness of The City That Never Sleeps somewhat bearable sometimes, especially when it's unexpected. This past summer Skye, Angela and I stumbled upon the set of "Half Nelson" which starred Anthony Mackie and Ryan Gossling. It was being shot at a middle school in Brooklyn and they were very closemouthed about it too. We didn't care. We were in the basketball shot and Skye was able to experience an actual film shoot. We didn't know it at the time but we were witnessing an Oscar-nominated performance. (Mr. Gossling is up for Best Actor at the Oscars this year, playing a basketball coach who is addicted to crack and found out by one of his teammates)). I have yet to see the movie but it got great reviews and is already out on DVD. I'm gonna check it out soon , although I'm hoping Forrest Whittaker wins. The Black man deserves the golden statue. Besides, Ryan Gossling,as an actor, is good. Real good. He'll be back. In the meantime, let's cross our fingers for Forrest. It's his time, don't you think?












No comments: